GUIDED READING EXCERPT:
Early Learners (age 2-5) Scripted Suggestions for “Different is Just Different”
BOLD indicates actual text. [---] indicates answers you are soliciting from the group
THIS IS SHOO BEAR. SHOO BEAR LOVES ANYTHING DIFFERENT.
- Look at that hat! Have you ever seen a hat like that? How is Shoo Bear different? [ a bear; funny name; wearing cowboy boots;]
SHE LOVES TO EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT THINGS.
- Look at that sandwich! What is in there? [fish tail; bone; sock] Have you ever eaten a sandwich like that? Could a bear?
SHE KNOWS THERE ARE SHOES FOR DIFFERENT PLACES.
- Point to flip flops--- what kind of shoes are these? Point to snow shoes--- what are these shoes for? Has anyone ever used them?
SHE KNOWS THERE ARE DIFFERENT SHOES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
- Who is wearing shoes? Is anyone else wearing the exact same shoes as you? Have you ever had to change your shoes to do a job or go somewhere?
SHE KNOWS THERE ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT NEEDS. SOME PEOPLE NEED HELP WALKING.
- Do you know anyone that wears AFO’s (ankle-foot orthotics or braces on their legs) or uses a wheelchair or walker?
SOME PEOPLE NEED HELP SEEING.
- Is there anyone at your house that uses glasses to see better? What is this cane for? Does anyone know?